What's going on in our science class: Sorting! March 11, 2015 - momgineer

What's going on in our science class: Sorting! March 11, 2015


I'm loving linking up with Carol at Teachers are Terrific for her What's going on in your science class? linky!
http://teachersareterrific.blogspot.com/2015/03/what-is-going-on-in-your-science-class.html
So, what's going on in our science class?


Science Sorts!
The most recent addition to my TpT shop is something that's been brewing in my head for awhile now, as I've been adding clip art to my collection that will work for various science sorts. I finally got the first six sets completed and posted!

 
Learn about the topic first!
We have started using them in our homeschool science studies. I usually look for a short science lesson first, either in one of the science texts we have, or even for a clip on YouTube. I found one that talks about producers and consumers that had my 8 and 6 year-olds giggling up a storm:

http://youtu.be/CDO_B1Bbjl8

There are plenty more there, so be sure to browse through for something that makes sense for you. This video didn't go into decomposers, so we discussed them afterwards.

Create it easily at home or in the classroom!
You can create a similar activity with old issues of nature magazines, such as National Geographic Kids, Ranger Rick, My Big Backyard, Mother Earth News, etc. (these are all magazines we have lying around and I often use them for collages)!

Don't have time for magazine cut and paste?
You can make your science lesson into an art lesson as well by having your kids draw various consumers, producers, and decomposers.

Take it outside!
We are still buried in snow at the moment, but once it has melted, this is a wonderful lesson to take out on a nature hike! I let my kids use my first ever digital camera to take photos because it lasts forever on a battery, and I wouldn't be upset if it got ruined damaged accidentally. It takes adequate photos, and it's a great way to really solidify this topic. We have often noted fungus breaking down old logs, and always see animals scurrying about on our walks. Of course walking through the woods also provides ample opportunity for viewing dozens of kinds of producers.



Don't have time for magazines or a nature walk?
If you are interested in the Science Sorts resource for your classroom or homeschool, I've got you covered. I urge you to visit the bundle page, where you will save over 50%.

Head on over to Teachers are Terrific for more great science ideas!
momgineer Meredith Anderson

STEM education is my passion!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith! I agree with your giggling kids! The video was hilarious! Thanks so much for linking up again! I sure hope your snow melts soon so you guys can get outside!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol! I just updated the post because we got an unseasonably warm day here, and my kids pointed out some amazing fungus on our walk! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete