salt dough ornaments - momgineer

salt dough ornaments


We have made these for a few years now and they are always a favorite! Check out these gorgeous salt dough ornaments for ideas:

great detail!!!

my inspiration for trying out stamps
(btw, the snowflake stamps I used I made with foam stickers)
cute as a button!

Some the kids and I made.
What you need:
  • Dough (2 parts flour, one part salt, and one part water)
  • Rolling pin
  • Cookie cutters
  • Straw
  • Ribbon or ornament hooks
  • Decorations: paint, glitter, photos, stamps, pen (optional) Note: The pen seems to run on plain salt dough when you spray the gloss, but not if it's used on top of paint.
  • Spray gloss (recommended - I used satin finish)
Knead, roll to .25 - .5" thick, and cut out with cookie cutters. Make 1 or 2 holes with the straw for your ribbon. Bake at 200°F for 4 or more hours (you might want to flip them half way through). When they are cool, you can decorate them. H&F love to paint them and then shake on glitter (I found red, green, and silver glitter shakers all in a pack at the local dollar store). Let them dry and then spray them to protect them. If you want, you can then add a photo. These were photo ornaments from last year and the kids gave them to their grandparents as gifts:
I made an indentation for the photos with the back of a measuring cup.
Baking!
 This photo is after the ornaments were baked - I colored the snowman's hat with a black permanent marker.
Who wouldn't love a Christmas rhino?
Some stamped ornaments.
F's ornaments
H's ornaments.
Hanging with ribbon.
There really are endless possibilities here. You can even attempt three dimensional objects, though I don't think I'm crafty enough for that!



momgineer Meredith Anderson

STEM education is my passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment